Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Rant................and Shelf Is Built

I find myself saying the same things over and over and over again.
And all be it I set goals for myself I guess I just don't care enough to really follow through. As one can easily tell from this blog I began my MAME project long long ago.
And even though each element of the build was in reality easy finding the time to do these specific tasks was not so easy. Not really having a desire to go downstairs and play on the machine I think was a major thorn in the side. None the less I push though and really do want this project finished. I think one of the other big...scratch that.....MASSIVE problems was me second guessing myself. I'm not by any means a handy individual. I'm not a skilled craftsman, in fact I didn't get a single tool until last year when I got my house. Yet for all my shortcomings I have this really overactive imagination. Now the imagination is a great thing, but when you combined that with hesitation and constant second guessing with a pinch of over thinking you have a deadly cocktail. I constantly doubt that I have the means and skills to complete this project.
As my MAME project neared completion all that remain with the installation of the monitor. Now that onto itself wasn't or didn't seem overly difficult. But the monitor was 115lbs, and quite simply I was unable to life it and maneuver it on my own. Finding the time to get downstairs and complete this task became an issue, and when I had time did I have someone around to help ? Still I thought I will do what I can, but I started to obsess over the angle of the monitor and for some reason (even to this day) was unable to figure it out. It was the suggestion of my brother-in-law to simply lift it into place, eyeball it and go from there. I spoke to my father-in-law and had him cut my shelf for me. I installed 2"x4" supports and drilled out 3 holes on each 2"x4" to allow for the bolts I purchased to be fed through. This past weekend a friend came over to give me his two cents on the build. (Again an issue formed by my over thinking of things) I showed him the shelf, I held the shelf in place and we took the back casing from the Sony PVM monitor and did another ruff fitting. I know it might not be exact, and really I don't need it to be exact. I'm pretty sure the orientation will be fine and I will have little, if not no blockage of the screen. So with the ruff install done my friend suggested I cut some of my extra 2"x4" to 28". It was 28" from the bottom of the cabinet to the bottom support of the shelf. He suggested with the wood cut it would in fact act like a second set of hands. I could shimmy the wood up to the shelf, and reach in from underneath a mark my three holes. Then move the wood to the other side of the cabinet and repeat. This would provide my with a level surface and allow the shelf to remain in place as I drill out the holes.
As I have prior I "AGAIN" feel confident this is truly the last step. I plan on cutting the support tonight and perhaps asking my father-in-law (A jack of all trades) for his two cents this weekend. I believe I've cracked the code again, but my father-in-law will be able to tell me fore sure. With this help the shelf should be installed this weekend. I should be able to move the cabinet into place myself and I'll need to enlist the help of my friend to lift the monitor.

Another thing I did notice was that the Sony PVM monitor will no doubt have to have its casing removed to fit correctly into the cabinet. As is I have removed the casing from one of the three monitors. I had some issues with the monitor not displaying in color. However I have been unable to resolve the problem. The issue was that the adjustments on the front panel don't work. However I did locate the wires and see where the plug into the back of the Sony. I'll need to remove the case from one of the two working Sony monitors. Once I do so I'm going to try to plug in the connection from a working Sony into the broken Sony. I'm hoping that by doing so I can simply access the buttons and use the factory reset. That should restore the monitor to its factory default and in theory display in color again. Salvaging a monitor that as is was set to go into the trash.

No comments: