Thursday, September 3, 2009

Almost there....again!

Not much has been done in the way of completing my MAME project.
As said many times on this blog I have limited time, no tools, and no help.
I'm basically at the same spot I was 30 days ago with my monitor waiting to be installed. All be it I did make some small progress.
I've painted the wooden bezel that surrounds my monitor in a flat black. Typically you would put your cardboard bezel over this, however I might just use it as is. When doing a dry fit it works out perfectly. In the future I might get a bezel cut from some matt board, but that remains to be seen.
I also purchased a 2"x4" that I cut down into 15" lengths. These will be doubled up and screwed together. On top of this I plan on mounting a shelf for the monitor to sit on. I did pick up the wood I need, however I haven't cut it into size.
I went to the local home depot and picked up some 3" bolts,washers,and nuts.
I partially uncased my Sony PVM monitor and began to loosely dry fit the shelf.
I'm having a hard time figuring out the angle to mount the monitor shelf. Its not easy working with a 110 lb monitor. However by using the back of the Sony PVM case I think I have a general idea as to where it should go. And to be honest, should it be slightly off I think i'll be able to live with it.
Again its just finding the time and the help to bang it out. I'm leaning now towards getting all the cuts done, the holes drilled, and everything else ready for the install. That way when I can find the help it should be a piece of cake.
The only thing that has me nervous is drilling through the side of the cabinet.
The idea is to use the 15" lengths of 2"x4" doubled up as support for the shelf. The shelf would be screwed into the supports. The 2"x4" supports would have three holes each drilled in them. The supports would rest on the inside of the cabinet and the 3" bolts used to keep them in place. I think this would be enough to hold the monitor, all be it might not be the best idea to move it around once assembled.

No comments: