Thursday, June 5, 2008

Step 8 & 9

With the soon to be MAME cabinet now in my garage I have the motivation to finish this project. I expect big things from myself, and really feel I will have a pristine machine when all is said and done. The goal is to have a classic themed machine painted in two tones of blue. The accents will be flat black, and the side art is yet to be determined. I'm still on "step 8" of the MAME process.

Step 8 : Testing The ROMs

As noted prior I have selected all my "favorites" from my ROM set. I'm now in the process of testing each game & noting any flaws, etc. Ive made it as far as "S" on my list. So far I'm pleased with the results and looking forward to playing the machine when its completed. All my results will be recorded and imputed using Microsoft Excel. The idea being that I can print this out and store it near the machine. If you want to play a certain game of my favorites you can look on the list to find my notes. If the game has some flicker in the screen or audio problems you will see it listed.

Step 9 : Load The CHDs

Ive downloaded the CHDs needed for a few games in my favorites. While doing the testing I noticed a few other titles on my list show a warning "One of the CHDs or ROMs are missing." Once I've completed testing ill go back, get the missing CHDs and install them.

** Ive noticed the some MIDWAY titles, namely the Mortal Kombat franchise & NBA Jam don't play well. The animation is very very choppy. It could be my computer, but technically my P4 should run MAME well. I'm hoping that via some other emulator I can faithfully reporduce these games. I know these titles were released on the N64. However Im yet to try a N64 emulator and these titles. The Killer Instinct franchise sticks out to me as something id really like on my MAME. I do know the both KI1 & KI2 require CHDs. I have them downloaded,but am yet to install them. I'm hoping that when I do they will play flawlessly. Over and above that, there are very few games that I want that need CHDs. Off the top of my head I think the only other one is NFL Blitz. **

No comments: