Monday, June 23, 2008

Painting, Monitor, Wiring

The MAME project is coming along well, and I'm pleased with the results thus far.
The control panel has proven to be a real challenge, and the adhesive doesn't come off easily. However when time permits I plan on getting this cleaned and ready to go. For now the cabinet has been %100 gutted, the coin door and remaining wiring have been removed. Ive taped out the front and it is now ready for paint. The two sides are done, each received two coats of paint. I used a bathroom paint I had in the house that has a semi-gloss finish to it. Its a pale (baby blue) type color. The front will receive the same treatment at some point this week. Once all the painting has been completed ill move the cabinet into the house to begin wiring and set up.

I'm leaning towards using the side art from Donkey Kong Jr. Ive sent off the files to a friend who's father can print them for me. I'm waiting on the quote, then I can decide. If I don't use that art I will make my own custom art, but want that retro feel. All the files I will be using can be found on www.localarcade.com .

The monitor will be my greatest challenge. Ill need to disassemble my computer monitor (which will be used in the MAME cabinet). Its a 19" flat screen, and all be it id like 25" it will have to do. Sadly my video card doesn't support video out, and when I replaced it with a "better" card the results were poor. I'm going to cut the bezel out of poster board. Ill remove the bezel from my monitor, center it, trace it, then cut it out. Once in place ill need to hold the monitor secure, and install a shelf. I don't think this part will be easy.

Ill post the pictures of the painted cabinet shortly.

No comments: