Thursday, June 5, 2008

MAME steps

STEP 1 : Format The Computer

I started lastnight by formating my computer, simple right ? Well I was tired, wasnt really paying attention and created a partition. When all was said and done I wouldnt have the space for the games & music i'd want. So I had to do this twice, the second time was a charm ! apx 70 gigs of free space remain.

STEP 2 : Transfer Mame Software + Roms from Cpu to External

I had to take Mame and the roms from my newer,faster PC and but them onto my external HDD. From there I would be able to (1) store them (2) and transfter them to my older,dedicated Mame cpu. This step, despite taking some time went ok !

STEP 3 : Install MAME

This was a botch ! There really is nothing to the install of mame ! one click your done..I mean you have to configure it..but the install itself is easy. Once I did the install I moved over my roms.
Well being that it was apx 1am @ this time I installed Mame onto the extrnal HDD, and ended up moving the ROMS from one location on the external to another ! this was a b**ch!
I just ended up dumping that entire folder, installing Mame on the correct drive on my PC. I will begin to move the roms on thursday. (as I have some much earned free time)

STEP 4 : Transfer the ROMS

Not much to say here, haven't had much time to do anything. I did manage to get into the office (where my computer is) and move the Roms into the correct folder. Next step will be to move the remaining parts of Mame, be it cabinet pics, marquess, etc.

STEP 5 : Transfer Remaining Data

There are a few elements to MAME, be it artwork,flyer's,marquees,cabinet pics,etc.
Once I moved over the ROMS I placed the remaining data in the required folders.

STEP 6 : The Custom ROM Set

MAME has so much to offer, all the games from your childhood available with the push of a button or click of a mouse. Its great to bring these classics as you remember them right into your home office, family room, basement, or wherever you choose to enjoy them. My objective is to build a full size arcade style cabinet to give me that feel I'm looking for. With that said, 6000 + games to pic from can be rather daunting, or even take sometime just to find the ones I want.
I have decided to customize my "favorites" and select only games I know I like & enjoy. When my MAME loads up I will be able to select from this list of personal favorites, however the other games are still available.

** I've now gone through MAME and using Google & KLOV I've completed my customized ROM set. In the weeks to come I am going to begin testing the games for performance issues **

STEP 7 : Locate the CHD's

Some games required additional storage in there original state, games like Killer Instinct reallied on an internal hard drive. MAME is still able to play these games, however you need a CHD. For a few games on my list I will require CHD's. I'm now on the quest to locate them.

** I've mannaged to locate the CHD's for another build of MAME. I don't know that they will work on my build, but since I cant find them CHD's for v.124 I thought I would give this a try. That's the final step to my custom ROM set **

With the soon to be MAME cabinet now in my garage I have the motivation to finish this project. I expect big things from myself, and really feel I will have a pristine machine when all is said and done. The goal is to have a classic themed machine painted in two tones of blue. The accents will be flat black, and the side art is yet to be determined. I'm still on "step 8" of the MAME process.

STEP 8 : Testing The ROMs

As noted prior I have selected all my "favorites" from my ROM set. I'm now in the process of testing each game & noting any flaws, etc. Ive made it as far as "S" on my list. So far I'm pleased with the results and looking forward to playing the machine when its completed. All my results will be recorded and imputed using Microsoft Excel. The idea being that I can print this out and store it near the machine. If you want to play a certain game of my favorites you can look on the list to find my notes. If the game has some flicker in the screen or audio problems you will see it listed.

STEP 9 : Load The CHDs

Ive downloaded the CHDs needed for a few games in my favorites. While doing the testing I noticed a few other titles on my list show a warning "One of the CHDs or ROMs are missing." Once I've completed testing ill go back, get the missing CHDs and install them.

** Ive noticed the some MIDWAY titles, namely the Mortal Kombat franchise & NBA Jam don't play well. The animation is very very choppy. It could be my computer, but technically my P4 should run MAME well. I'm hoping that via some other emulator I can faithfully reporduce these games. I know these titles were released on the N64. However Im yet to try a N64 emulator and these titles. The Killer Instinct franchise sticks out to me as something id really like on my MAME. I do know the both KI1 & KI2 require CHDs. I have them downloaded,but am yet to install them. I'm hoping that when I do they will play flawlessly. Over and above that, there are very few games that I want that need CHDs. Off the top of my head I think the only other one is NFL Blitz. **

No comments: