Sunday, August 14, 2011

Got the Paint...and Panels






With two Nintendo cabinets on the way I decided I would do a Kustom Kong MAME cabinet.
It will be on original Nintendo cabinet with a PC housed inside. But to give this project more playability I'm going to use Player 1 & Player 2 start as button 1 & 2.
The second Nintendo cabinet with be a Popeye and wired JAMMA with a VS. control panel layout. Again the idea being that the 2 player JAMMA layout would make it a more desirable cabinet.


I've been searching KLOV high and low for the parts I'll need.
I tracked down my complete Donkey Kong plastics set (bezel, marquee, and complete control panel) for $100 US shipped.
I also managed to track down a Popeye CPO as well as a DK3 marquee.
They should be in this week, I don't need the DK3 marquee, but the price was good.
For the Popeye CPO and marquee I paid $43 US shipped.
Even though I'm going to do the Popeye as a two player cabinet I thought it would be a cool idea to have an original 1 player Popeye panel.
I'm thinking I'd like to try and wire both panels into a molex connectors. Then I can easily swap out the control panels.

I've tracked down my upper and lower brackets on KLOV also, I'm just waiting on confirmation of the sale. They are $35 US shipped.

Over and above that I went to my local Rona store yesterday and picked up some MDF for the control panels. They no longer do free cuts but the guy was nice and cut me four panels. I only need two (VS panel/1 player Popeye) but the MDF can actually yield 5 panels.

Picked up some Behr "liquid blue" premium paint + primer, a member over on KLOV had this color matched to a DK cabinet. The DK and Popeye will be the same color so I picked up a gallon. It's the best Behr paint and cost me $54 for the gallon.

No comments: