Thursday, July 17, 2008

Varsol = Satisfaction





When I removed the overlay from my control panel I was shocked by how much glue was left behind. I purchased some goo gone, let it soak for about 10 minutes and began "trying" to remove the glue. It was by no means an easy task. I got smart and grabbed the wife's hair dyer, that seemed to help a bit. But even with the goo gone & hair dryer my progress was slow...real slow ! My brother-in-law suggested I use varsol, so I did.
That with my drywall putty knife (I think that's what it is) made things so much quicker. I made great progress with very little effort, and perhaps most important in very little time. The top half of the control panel is done, I just want to give it a wipe with some more varsol and a clean cloth. The bottom is about done, but towards the lower part it seems they used some different adhesive. Perhaps a contact cement of sorts ? I'm not sure,but even with the varsol it was slow to come off. Tomorrow (Friday) I'm going to take another stab at it using the hair dryer. The heat does wonders, and I think ill be able to have the control panel fully cleaned for the weekend.
It was getting dark so I don't have the newest pictures, but I should post them in about a day or so. You will be able to see I got mostly all the glue off and its ready for paint.

No comments: