Sunday, November 7, 2010

Final Touches

With the monitors now installed in the last two bartops the end is around the corner.
All that really remains is to wire up the electrical elements of the project and install the power switches. A co-worker friend of mine was formerly an electrical engineer and offered to help. He is going to give everything the once over to make sure I've done it all correctly. He's also going help me to ensure the proper voltage is going out to the monitors and arcade board. With two of the cabinets for sale (prior to the holiday season should all go to plan) I don't want to take any chances.

I've got side art coming in this week, and I also have a lead on some cheap 15" LCD monitors should any of these monitors be on the fritz. I'm excited to have this project coming to a close. They look pretty good ! I'll also have a better idea of what needs to be done once fully wired up. The original incarnation of the cabinets had the protective film left on the back side of the plexi. The middle was cut out serving as a bezel. I've got some bristle board to serve as a bezel should I need it. I'm hoping with the monitors on and the cabinets illuminated the frosted plexi will hide some of the inner workings. If I do need to add a bezel I will.

As is some of the wires are sort of loosely placed inside the cabinet and the monitor support just plain unpainted MDF. Should I need to paint it black I will. If I have to wrap the wires in black electrical tape to hide them, I will. But for now I'm hoping these minor details can be left as is.

Once fully complete I can begin the push on my Donkey Kong Jr project.

No comments: